Sunday, May 29, 2011

Yorke Peninsula

                                  Hi Everyone, a few photos today.I wish I could take better scenic shots. Maybe a new camera would do the trick! I have been travelling through the
Yorke Peninsula, over  the last week, I have been into every little bay and cove
there is. There are some amazing sights. I have looked through all the museums and there are a lot! What I have been disappointed in is the quality of the local seafood. For the first time I am going to give a place a rocket. The fish and chips at Walleroo, were abominable. But luckily I had some wonderful fish and chips at Edithsburg at one of the pubs, at seniors rate $9.
I started taking photos here at Port Victoria as the sunsets are supposed to be excellent. Not if there is too much cloud though! Unfortunately the colour sort of faded as well.
I was very impressed with the Cornish history around Kadina, Walleroo and Moonta. This was where copper was mined in the late 19th century and early 20th. The copper mines were all used up by 1946 (I think)  at one stage there were 1100 children in a sort of "private" school, run by the mining company. If you don't go to school for 4 hours after they have worked in the mines a 12 hour day, you get a token which had to be shown before you could work, no token (meant  you didn't go to school) no work day. Of course they were so poor, they needed the pennies they earned. I found the whole cornish and welsh copper mining thing fascinating. Also the connection from Wesleyan and Methodist religion which converted and joined into the modern australian Uniting Church as we know it today. The Cornish Pasties weren't bad either. I found then  bit heavy in the pastry , but apparently the miners didn't eat the pastry, it was so they could actually pick up the food with their filthy hands as they were working! They just ate the filling!

Down and around the point of Yorke Peninsula there are the lovely bays of Coobowie, Edithsburg, Point Vincent and Stansbury. I got up and looked at the sky and thought a lovely day, and within an hour the 2nd photo was taken! Luckily it actually blew over the bay and didn't affect us but it did look worrying for a while. I spent Saturday and Sunday quilting my latest project in the van, finally I have got the sewing machine working on the trip. I have lugged it around for 6 months so far and hadn't used it , so I am glad I have got that under way. I have of course been doing plenty of crafts just not used the machine.
So with these thoughts I leave you for the week. Hopefully next week I will be able to post a photo of this latest project!
PS I had a small mouse problem, it chewed through my Melbourne  Quilt show landscape project! But I got it in a trap. Ha!!
See Ya Vicki

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment