Friday, July 22, 2016

travel within travel

Hi everyone, I am back. And on a roll. Since I last blogged, I have been busy, traveling within my Travels!  Does that make Sense?  It does to me.
 I came back from west Australia,  in may after my normal april/may visit, picked up my motor home from Brisbane and continued in a westerly fashion to Dalby,  spent a pleasant few days there, the caravan park is right in town, very convenient. A bit of star News!  It is right opposite the qld twins house from house rules on TV!  As it happened, they won, but I didn't know that then. They were very welcoming and posed for photos to my fellow traveller's,  not Me!  Then I was off, further west, over ground I had previously covered, towards Charleville.  I paused for a few days at Mitchell, spent some time in the artesian hot spa there. Very good for my arthritis. The caravan park is a few minutes walk across a bridge to the pool. Then on to Charleville. I was there in 2014, but this time I stayed at charleville bush caravan park, about 3 km out of town,but what a great Place!  Bush type sites, lovely ablution blocks, nice laundry,etc But the best bit was a great nightly camp fire, happy hour, camp oven damper several nights, camp oven dinner, sat nights, pizza night Sunday night. There was a bus to take us to town to the local RSL Monday and Thursday  nights, and a very comprehensive tour of the area on several mornings. Bonnie and Charlie, are the managers, very welcoming and helpful. On arrival we were issued with our own Bath mat!  That's a First!  The owner, Graham, gave talks on a couple of afternoons before happy hour about the deserts and corners. Cameron, Haddon and Pepper to name a few. They also ran 4wd tag along tours. So to cut a long story short, I booked to go on the next one as a passenger with the Leader!
so I went off to drive a figure eight, sort of , to get back to charleville in a month. First stop long reach,  and collect my mail. As I drove along, it started to rain, yea,the drought has broken., first rain in 5 Years!  I arrive in long reach , caravan park is ankle deep in water, Yuk!  But hey Rain!  Great. So I book for a week, to get my mail, and next thing is terrible news,my lo very friend and wife of my kids godfather, passes away from cancer. I book to fly back west for her funeral, decide I have time to catch the train to Brisbane,  that will be nice, see some different scenery, but no. Train tracks under water , etc, from Rain!   So I fly, very sad time, but glad I went ba c,  hugs and tears for John and his 3 sons and their lovely wives and grandchildren. Fly back after 5 days,get a a quick trip to Busselton to see Mum. Think I will go back on train, no it is still at Long reach!  Fly again, long reach is isolated by road. Plod up to post office daily, chasing more mail, no,  roads still closed, no Mail!   Finally after about 18 or so days roads are open, I give upon mail, and head north  for an abbreviated figure 8! They had about 10 inches of Rain!  So I go to Winton,  dinosaur country,  but the roads are a mess, so I only see the stuff in Town!  Julia Creek,  Hughenden,  then back to Winton,  Barcaldine via Longreach, again, Black all,  Augathella,  and hello Charleville!
I am madly washing and packing , lightly, and getting some supplies, bottled water and lollies for the drive. We left 2 weeks ago, 4 couples and me. He only takes 5 vehicles max, the trip is all motel accommodated and meals. Of course I am single supplement, but hey, I won't get out to the Simpson desert on my own, so I pay my money and am grateful for the chance.
First day to Windorah, about 440 km,  cabin accommodation, pretty good meal, continental breakfast,  packed lunch.  Off we go for the 400 plus km to Birds ville,  and hitting dirt roads almost immediately. Pretty good roads though. Lots of oncoming traffic, as we have just missed "the Big Red Bash" 7000 people in the desert for a rock concert at big red, a spectacular sand dune 40 kms inland from Birdsville.! Imagine it, and it was rained out, they had to move the concert to town.! Our Birdsville accommodation is lovely, I stayed there about 5 years earlier when I did a flight tour out to Lake eyre.  We spent 2 nights there, took a packed breakfast and drove up Big Red for sunrise, first lessons for everyone in 4 X 4 driving.  My photos don't do it justice. And I  hAve forgotten how to insert them , Again! The east side is easier to drive up, something to do with the prevailing winds, but we go inland further west to Eyre Creek,  which is dry, have smoko and turn back over 20 plus dunes. It's been interesting riding with the experienced leader. He talks the others through the hard bits,encouraging the nervy,  anxious ones and everyone is happy. Then we arrive back at Big red, it's a Sport!  About 20 or so vehicles are there, people up the top, watching, as all the "guns" rev up and have a go. Most Fail!  There is a "chicken run"  for anyone who can not make it, or a slightly easier way at big red. We go up the easier way back to the top, watch some more, then a couple of our guys they want to have a go. More air out of types,  some coaching from our great leader, and back down they go. 3 goes each, and they admit defeat. So our fl, fearless leader, and yours truly set off down, while our cheer squad stay on top. I am not missing out on This!    Down we go, no messing around, no big run up, like some of them do, no turn arou nd, drop a few more gears, I presume,  then away we go. Straight up and over in 1 Go!  Boy that was Fun!  I videoed it, but I think it is too big to put in here, but I will have a Go!
I will post this and continue in a c outlet of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment